Report from the EP event “Take Whole grain Seriously! Make your grains whole: for your and the planet’s health” 19 November 2019
On the occasion of the first edition of the International Whole Grain Day, on 19 November, 2019, the Whole Grain Initiative hosted a launch event at the European Parliament in Brussels alongside MEP Elsi Katainen (FI, Vice-Chair of AGRI Committee). The event explored how policymakers and stakeholders can work together to encourage more people to ‘make their grains whole’ as part of healthy and sustainable dietary patterns.
The event gathered researchers and policymakers to highlight the positive impact of whole grains on nutrition, wellbeing, and sustainability. The panel brought together a number of leading stakeholders and Member States comprising the Italian Society for Cardiovascular Prevention (SIPREC), National Institute for Health and Welfare in Finland, European Public Health Alliance, Slovenian Chamber of Agricultural and Food Enterprises and the Swedish Heart-Lung Foundation.
During the panel discussion it was highlighted that increasing the daily intake of whole grains to 30-40g reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD) by up to 20%. The disease is estimated to cost the EU economy more than €210 billion a year and therefore places a considerable burden on healthcare systems and government budgets.
Despite the health benefits of whole grains, their consumption in Europe remains low. Studies from the EU suggest the majority of Europeans eats less than one serving of whole grain per day, and that only 5% of the grains consumed in Europe are whole.
One such lifestyle change is a switch to whole grains, which experts agree would considerably lower the incidence of CVD and other major chronic diseases, thus having considerable social and economic effects.
Please read more regarding the event here
19th November is International Whole Grain Day, a whole day to know more about whole grain and discover how good it can be for you.
The International Whole Grain Day, aims at highlighting the impact of wholegrain consumption on nutrition, well-being and sustainability for healthier lives and planet, and further calls on the political community to better manage this issue.
HOW CAN YOU CONTRIBUTE?
- Promote the International Wholegrain Day through your website, within your network and social media channels.
How? Please follow the International Whole Grain Initiative on Twitter and Instagram:
As a first step you may wish to post the International Whole Grain Day Logo entitled "A Whole Day for
Whole Grain" on your website or social media channels. Please feel free to download the logo here.
- Use the following #hashtags when promoting the International Whole Grain Day:
#internationalWGDay #makeyourgrainswhole #choosewholegrains
- Issue a Press Release on the occasion of International Whole Grain Day to help us to spread the whole grain message. A template press release which can be adapted to your community is available here.
- Act as an incubator for exchanging whole grain good practices by hosting or organising next editions of the International Whole Grain Day and/or by organising workshops with the aim of transferring knowledge and experiences and participate to this global wholegrain movement.
- Share your favorite whole grain recipe on International Whole Grain Day via social media and be sure to tag @eatwholegrains and use one of our hashtags: #internationalWGDay #makeyourgrainswhole and #choosewholegrains
- Share the short info videos on whole grain available at http://www.wholegraininitiative.org/publications
Please share your interest in supporting the International Whole Grain Day by contacting us so we can support your efforts and provide further material and information!